DM-Q3A-Unlimited (WIP Progress)

Scoping through my old Q3A (Quake 3 Arcade) maps, I stumbled upon an old custom layout I once created in the Quake Editor
When I started at this layout, It was meant to be a nice competitive 1v1 Quake map, but the map landed in the depths of my harddrive.

I opened the map just recently, just curious to see what I made. (I always do that when I lack a certain amount of inspiration for a layout)
When the map was opened, I found out that the layout itself was there, but I never begun its design stadium. 

So, looking at how much Quake influenced me, and taking with me the argument that the community focus I have is not based upon Quake:
I decided to remake the layout in UE3 to see how it would flow, and what options it could provide in Unreal 3 for a good 1 versus 1 map.

3 days ago, I finished the actual layout stage, and had it tested for any flaws/choke points/flow breakers etc.
Got some good feedback at UOF, as well as the duelers from Galaxy Pugs, which found the layout interesting and well flowing

Picture of the Alpha layout. Very ugly, pure focus on getting the layout visible with a set of stock textures just meant to seperate Floor – Wall – Ramp.

I started texturing and set up basic lightning 2 days ago at the start of a “free” weekend, with about 5 to 6 hours per day spend on it.
For the texturing I used some oldschool Quake 3 textures, ripped from an old Quake 3 CD I found. I have set up a normal/specular map through Photoshop,
and made some adjustments in the UE3 material editor.

The first results are visible on the picture below.
For the design perspective, I tried to set myself some points i wanted to realise in this map:

– A kind of dark/eerie industrial setting, using alot of brown texturing to set the basic.
– For the trimming to really stand out, I’m using a more darker Red color, and to let it shine a bit more, a reflection mask on both ends
(adjusted a material coming from Cr4zyb4st4rd used in his HOLP3 WAR-Flux 😀 map) to accentuate trimming and let it stand out a bit more.
– Less vulgarity in walls, trying to differentiate walls as much as possible.

The lightning on the picture above so far is just a test, to see what colors would work in a setting like this. 
I found myself conformtable with a Red/Green/Yellow against a brown texture setting. The green really pops out in the middle and creates a good Quake like setting.

With some more work, this picture shows another 2 days of work:
– Lightning pops out much more (needs more work though)
– The red lights above create some more ambience and accentuate the higher walls some more.

I had some time to model a nice Quake logo as well. How I did it, might not be the most practical way, but the logo was roughly created in UDK by using solely BSP only.
Then converted the model to 3DS Max, to do some adjustments.

The outcome:

This is pretty much still very Work In Progress. A new update will be posting soon ofcourse.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s